...
One of the many things that I have picked up from my father is this. When he prays alone, he begins with the Lord's Prayer (or at least that's what I remember him saying once). In recent months, I have begun regularly using this prayer as well at some point during my own private prayers, though often as a closing.


I often marvel at the faith in me that can somehow believe in a God and Creator and Ruler who I have never seen, especially when I pray the line, "Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name." Then there's the line, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." It probably wouldn't be my first reaction to think I am seeing His "kingdom" in day-to-day happenings, but it's there. Especially the evidences of it. We just finished a series on the Beatitudes at church, and the question Patrick always opened his sermon with was, "I say sermon on the mount, and you say? ... Kingdom." The good and godly working of our lives in the world is the presence of the kingdom of God. Christians are "little Christs", the presence of God in the world, and a blessing to it, if we are faithful.

But still, the kingdom of God, Who's will is done on earth as it is in heaven? ... Heaven. What would be going on there to somehow create this parallel that Jesus taught us to pray? It's beyond me. God is beyond me, not that that statement should be a surprise to anyone, but seriously. I haven't often taken the time to notice how unfathomable God is. Whenever you're swimming in the deep end, do you ever take a second to look straight down to the bottom? At least you can see it, and you can reach it, if you can hold your breath long enough and stand the pressure in your ears. I guess if we went too deep into God, the pressure would crush and kill us.

We are only capable of so much. I am only capable of so much.

In the prayer, "Give us this day, our daily bread," I was struck with the contrast of the cosmic-ness of the previous lines, and the basic, and understandable immediacy of the same infinte, fearfully deeper-than-deep God. The previous lines remind me of my limitation to see and understand and know, while these put the truth right into my hands, my mouth, my stomach, ... my wallet, too. How understandable is that?! Very! Actually, I'll be partaking of the truth of this line momentarily, as soon as I get around to breakfast.

.laughs.

I am amazed at how the Spirit of God can convince our souls so thoroughly and consumingly of Himself. I look forward to the prestige of His magic in the world, the day when He "brings it back." (movie reference - The Prestige - if you were wondering) But for now I must be content to be held in wonder.

3 comments:

Amanda and Phillip said...

I hear you--sometimes God just blows you away with His sovereignty. He did that with me between yesterday and today. Yesterday was a roller coaster, and basically brought me to the point where the only way I could finish everything this spring is by His strength, grace, and work. And He has indeed made things happen with a grace and mercy only He could provide. Absolutely blows me away.

Anonymous said...

what is your view on the forgiving others line?

Daniel said...

Hmm. Well, we're supposed to forgive - because of God's forgiveness, and by it's power in us. But I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

... from worshipmatters.com