feedback | 08.02.09

All right. This Sunday went pretty well.

On a technical note, me and Brett - 2 guys - got the core audio and video system in place by about 8:30am, at which point Brett was able to go home to be with his family before the service. Gravy. This is what we're shooting for in the future. I would like for musicians to be able show up somewhere in the 8:15-8:30 time range to get any of their personal gear set. We need to get a regular rotation of two setup guys/week going first, though. We're working on that. If you're a musician not playing on any particular week, you'd definitely be welcome to assist with that setup.

No real issues with the music. The batteries died in the click track machine, but we weren't using a bass track, so no serious problem there. Jenn and Aaron were good to go with rhythm on-the-fly. Speaking of Aaron, big appreciation to him for jumping in on the acoustic. That was an encouragement to me and many in the congregation. Musically I was really happy with the layered acoustic sound we had going on for God Of Wonders. (Listen below. I would definitely appreciate feedback here.) I wasn't so happy with the blend on songs 3 and 4. The different chord voicings were too close. I think the multiple acoustic style probably shouldn't be used the whole service. Don't want to sound too much like Shane and Shane (not that I have any problem with Shane and Shane). Don't want to overuse one style. But it definitely worked well for God Of Wonders. I would like to be able to add in bass and the electric guitar part we did a few months ago and see what that who sound comes out like.

Gotta be praying for more players, though.

It's good to have Mark back with us. I'm sure he'll have some tales for us, so be looking forward to that blessing. He'll be back in the mix this week.

For the sound guys, the tracks this week sound like the lead vocal was mixed noticeably farther back than usual. I'm not sure how that worked out in the actual live sound, but I did hear a comment that one of the acoustic guitars was a bit too much. We might want to explore compressing acoustic guitars to keep them from coming out too percussive.


Again, please leave any comments.

No comments:

... from worshipmatters.com